Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Fling...

It could hardly be considered a real condition ride but I did manage to saddle up Maggie and take her for a short ride last night.

Of course, she found every excuse to be snotty....

Of course JB and Rebel had to "help" by running and bucking their way along the fence line as we left the property....

and..

Of course, Maggie thought that was a good enough reason to jump , crow hop, dance sideways and generally misbehave.

I began to wonder if I had really put almost 400 conditioning miles on this mare last year , not to mention the countless additional hours in the arena. Based on how she was behaving, it was like starting all over again..Good grief.. this mare is a pistol.

There were more than a few moments I thought any minute she might just manage to send me on a spring fling if you know what I mean.

Tom came along too and rode his 5 year old bareback. Brego did a wonderful job of making Maggie and I look like it was our first time out….. oh wait it kinda was…

(sigh)

There is a lot to be said for geldings. Even young, hardly trained geldings…

So, I guess Spring conditioning can officially begin. I just wish I had a 10 mile section of road that wasn’t unsafe. Riding the roads regularly isn’t really a good option due to safety issues (we have a lot of traffic on our dirt roads and rude drivers). I’ll be trying to ride a couple nights a week in the outdoor arena for now. That will atleast help to get Maggie legged up a bit. Weekends, we’ll start hitting the STILL snowy trails and praying for warmer weather...

No comments: