Monday, January 19, 2015

It Begins...

My clicker training quest... for Otto.

Ofcourse,,,The first step with anything new is educating oneself. After alot of looking and thinking and looking some more, I want ahead and bought a book about it.

It arrived today. .


The reason I chose this one, among several available out there,  is that it was described as having good "basic" instructions, regardless of your skill levels or knowledge of clicker training. I have alot of horse training knowledge but have never done anything with clicker training so basic was good. It also claimed to have good pictures and with something like this, I thought that would be ideal for me. It also had alot of positive reviews.

So far, my impressions are in line with it's claims. I feel confident that I can follow these instructions and gain some level of success with Otto. Normally, when it comes to training horses , I don't prefer the "recipe" approach, meaning, follow these steps , 1, 2, 3, etc to obtain response X.

 However, in this case, I until I get  more comfortable and begin to get a feel for how Otto responds, I thought having an idea going in on what I needed to be looking for in regards to a response would be helpful. I am anxious to see how it the first lesson goes.. but I still need to obtain a clicker and make my own homegrown version of  a target stick..

Stay tuned! I am excited to start trying this all out




1 comment:

Judi said...

You are going to have so much fun!